These simple vegan strawberry cupcakes are packed with fresh strawberries and filled with easy to make strawberry jam! They are fluffy, soft, easy to make and honestly so delicious. They are a perfect dessert for all strawberry lovers and also make a lovely gift for your loved ones; they will make your special days feel even more special. Enjoy these fluffy bites on special occasions like Valentine’s Day or birthday parties!
For the entire recipe
- 3 cups (about 350g) sweet strawberries(makes about 1 & 1/2 cups of strawberry puree)
For the cupcakes
- 2 cups (220g) plain flour
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) strawberry puree
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (140ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried strawberries
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the strawberry jam filling
- 1/3 cup (80ml) strawberry puree
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
Strawberry buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven for 180°C(350°F).
- Puree the strawberries by putting them all in a food processor and puree until they are smooth and liquid. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl. Mix the flour, sugar, cornflour, freeze-dried strawberries, baking powder, and baking soda with a whisk until well combined and there are no lumps of flour left.
- Add the strawberry puree and vegetable oil and mix gently with a large wooden spoon or a silicone spatula until they are just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Pour the batter into a cupcake tin lined with cupcake cups, filling them about halfway. bake for 22-23 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If it comes out with wet batter, bake for a further 2-3 mins and test again.
- To make the strawberry jam filling, add all the ingredients for the filling to a small saucepan and cook on medium heat. Once it starts to reach a boiling point, turn the heat down to low and cook for 1 further 1-2 mins until it thickens. Set aside.
- To make the strawberry buttercream frosting, beat the cubed room temperature vegan butter in a fairly large glass mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s fluffy and paler in colour. Add the soy single cream/whipping cream and beat further 2-3 mins. Add the strawberry puree and freeze-dried strawberries and beat until combined. Then add the icing sugar, 1/3 at a time and beat until it makes a nice creamy and fluffy buttercream frosting.
- Using a small fruit knife or cupcake corer, core each cupcake. Keep the cut-out top! Fill them with the strawberry jam filling and put the cut-out top back on.
- Fit a piping bag with a star tip and stuff it with the strawberry buttercream frosting. Holding the opening of the piping back to ensure the cream won’t leak, frost each cupcake starting from the centre and going around it then to the top. Using ripe and sweet strawberries is important in this recipe.
- Decorate the cupcakes more with freeze-dried strawberries and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
Use ripe and sweet strawberries for the best result.
Mix the batter gently with a large wooden spoon or a silicone spatula to avoid overmixing.
Frost from the centre to make a nicely shaped frosting.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: Cupcake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: strawberry, spring