This sweet and simple vegan gingerbread loaf cake is effortless to make, moist, soft, fluffy, and flavourful with fresh ginger, molasses, and cosy and warm spices. It’s extra decadent with smooth and creamy vegan vanilla buttercream frosting. Perfect for any festive occasion like Thanksgiving and Christmas!
For the gingerbread loaf cake
- 2 cups (230g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) molasses
- 1/2 cup (90g) brown sugar
- 1/2cup (125ml) soy milk, room tempertaure
- 1/4 cup(70g) applesauce
- 1/2 cup (100g) melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1 tbsp freshly ground ginger
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
For the vanilla buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C(350°F).
- In a bowl, mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside until it thickens.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the melted vegan butter and brown sugar and whisk until they are fully combined. Add the molasses, applesauce, grated ginger, and vegan buttermilk and whisk until well combined.
- add the flour, cornflour, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, clove powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until just combined with a large wooden spoon or a silicone spatula. Do not over-mix here!
- Pour the batter into a loaf tin and bake for 50 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If it comes out with wet uncooked batter though, bake for another 5-10 mins and do the toothpick test again.
- Take the loaf out of the oven and cool it down to room temperature until it’s not too hot to touch. Take the loaf out of the tin and transfer it onto a cooling rack and cool it completely.
- To make the vegan vanilla buttercream frosting, with a stand mixer with a balloon attachment or a hand mixer with a large bowl, beat the vegan butter until it’s creamy and paler in colour for about 2-3 mins. Add the icing sugar and beat again scraping the side as needed, about 2-3 mins. Add the soy cream and vanilla and beat further for about 2-3 mins until the buttercream is smooth, creamy and fluffy.
- Once the loaf is completely cooled down, spread the vanilla buttercream on top and sprinkle some sugar sprinkles on top. Slice and enjoy!
Make sure to use all room-temperature ingredients, especially soy milk. Cold soy milk can solidify the butter and can spoil the texture.
Over mixing will cause a tough, rubbery, and dense texture so do not over mix.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Loaf cake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread loaf, gingerbread cake