This triple-layer vegan brownie cake is so fudgy and moist with chocolate buttercream frosting! It’s a simple yet indulgent dessert that everyone will love. It’s perfect for birthday parties and festive events like Thanksgiving and Christmas!
For the cake
- 3 & 1/2 cups (380g) plain flour
- 1 cup (95g) cacao powder
- 2 cups (300g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (105g) melted vegan chocolate
- 1 cup (200g) melted vegan butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups (375ml) soy milk
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder + 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the chocolate buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C(350°F).
- Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a jug or medium bowl to make vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the instant coffee powder and hot water until the coffee is dissolved completely. Set aside.
- n a medium-size saucepan, melt the vegan butter and vegan milk chocolate together until they are melted and well combined.
- Add the vegan buttermilk and coffee mixture to the saucepan and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, cacao powder, brown sugar, and baking powder and mix until they are well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix gently with a large wooden spoon or a silicone spatula until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix! Over-mixing causes a touch and rubbery texture in the cake.
- Pour the cake batter into 3 lined cake tins evenly and smooth out the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 mins.
- Rest the cakes on a countertop until they are at room temperature or slightly warmer than room temperature. Take them out of the tins and transfer the cakes onto a cooling rack and cool them completely.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the vegan butter until creamy and fluffy about 2-3 mins with a balloon attachment. Add the soy whipping cream and whip further for about 2-3 mins.
- Add the cacao powder and icing sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until combined. Add in the melted vegan milk chocolate and whip until everything is well combined.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled down, place the first layer on a cake stand. Place some of the chocolate buttercream frosting and spread evenly. Place the second layer and repeat until the third layer. Cover the side with buttercream frosting and smooth out with a cake-decorating spatula or normal spatula.
- Slice and enjoy!
Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before making this cake.
Do not use extremely hot melted chocolate for the chocolate buttercream frosting as it can degrade the texture of the buttercream.
Rest the cake in the tin for at least 10-15 mins before transferring it to a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: chocolate, vegan cake, brownie cake