Love banoffee pie? You’ll LOVE these vegan banoffee cupcakes! The banana-flavoured cupcakes are baked on a biscuit crust, filled with vegan caramel and frosted with rich and creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. They are such perfect cupcakes for afternoon tea to enjoy with friends and family.
For the biscuit crust
- 140g digestive biscuits
- 3–4 tbsp melted vegan butter
For the cupcakes
- 1 & 3/4 cups (180g) plain flour
- 1 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) soy milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup (120g) mashed banana, about 1 medium banana
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 cup (200g) cubed vegan butter
- 3 cups (330g) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract with vanilla beans
For the core and drizzle
- Vegan caramel sauce, or any store-bought vegan caramel
- Using a food processor, process the digestive biscuits very finely until they are almost like flour.
- Transfer the processed biscuits into a mixing bowl, add the melted vegan butter and mix until it’s crumbly like wet sand.
- Spread the biscuit mixture in cupcake cups lined in a cupcake tin, and press down firmly onto the bottom with a spoon to make the crust base. Set aside for now.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C(350°F).
- In a medium size bowl, mash the banana until it’s paste-like. In a separate medium bowl, mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar to make vegan buttermilk. Set them aside.
- n a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, caster sugar, tapioca flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the melted vegan butter, vegan buttermilk, and mashed banana and mix very gently with a large wooden spoon or a silicone spatula until they are just combined. Be careful not to over-mix!
- Pour the cupcake batter into each cupcake cups filling about halfway to 3/4. Bake in the oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If it comes out with wet batter, bake for another 3-5 mins and test again.
- Let the cupcakes cool down to room temperature and transfer them onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- With a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the cubed vegan butter until it’s creamy and fluffy then add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time and keep beating until well combined.
- Add the soy whipping cream and vanilla extract and beat until rich, creamy, and fluffy.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled down, core them in the middle using a small fruit knife or a cupcake corer. Fill the core with vegan caramel sauce and lightly put the core back on.
- Attach a star tip to a piping bag and fill it with the vegan vanilla buttercream. Frost the cupcakes whilst holding the end of the piping bag to prevent the buttercream from leaking.
- Drizzle some more vegan caramel and enjoy!
If you are making your vegan caramel at home, make it at least 6 hours in advance or one day before so that it has time to cool down.
Use a large wooden spoon or silicone spatula for mixing the cupcake batter to avoid forming too much gluten in the batter.
Always use a digital scale.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: Cupcake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: banoffe pie, banoffee pie cupcakes, banoffe cupcakes, banoffe, cupcakes